Sep 2002

Talking 8 Signs You Were Born And Raised In Sweden

What do Swedes think of this article?

http://matadornetwork.com/notebook/8...dor+Network%29

Moderator utomjordings avatar
    Reg.datum
    Dec 2002

Standard

I don't love salty licorice but... I have tried snus, wear a fair amount of black clothes, don't celebrate 6th of June etc.
    Låt dom komma nu

Erfaren medlem -hulda-s avatar
    Reg.datum
    Jun 2007

Standard

I actually never tried snus, but the rest of it... . Although I think People lived more by jantelagen 20 years ago... Or Maybe I've just got used to it so I don't notise it anymore...
    and goddamn, I don't seem to have learned
    that a lady in need is guilty indeed...(Nina Persson)

& varje gång du möter min blick blir min värld en aning större
    varje gång du möter min blick hör jag ditt hjärta ge mig blod

Erfaren medlem kmbs avatar
    Reg.datum
    Sep 2004

Standard

Spot on I will say, but I have not try snus either. I think the jantelaw is a bite different to day. You can think you are someone as long as you don't brag about it to much. The Swedich "lagom".
    Jag har blivit äldre, saknar glöd
    det rår jag inte för...

Reg.datum
    Jun 2007

Standard

Citat Ursprungligen postat av kmb Visa inlägg
    Spot on I will say, but I have not try snus either. I think the jantelaw is a bite different to day. You can think you are someone as long as you don't brag about it to much. The Swedich "lagom".
    Exactly!!! you found the words I was seeking.

Standard

I was not adressed by the OP, but I think it's kind of funny how I can tick at least as many points on the list as the Swedish guys, despite living nearly 2000 km away, never spending more than 10 consecutive days in Sweden and not a single Swedish family member in the past six generations.

You've tried snus - check
    I was 4 years old and stole it off my granddad, who I used to idolize at that time and wanted to be like him. It was a tearful experience. But you can buy snus here in every tobacco shop, so I could go for it if I felt like paying for destroying my health.

You're highly trained in jantelagen - check
    Primary and secondary school took care of that. God forbid you tried to outperform or outdress the others and think you are in any way better. It was refreshing and a bit strange at college that people who did good were appreciated for their performance by their peers and not pushed down for it.

You love salty licorice - check
    Give it all here, in the largest bowl you have.

You match the color palette of your wardrobe with the dark December nights - check
    Black is the new black. I like to dress in all black and wear at least one black item every single day, regardless of season. I love black.

You don’t celebrate 6th of June, but you’re thrilled it’s another day off. - check
    Our national day is on a different date, but I'm indifferent towards it. It is usually just an extra off day that can be used to go hiking, biking and have a picnic if the weather is good, or stay at home and order in sushi if not.

You think Midsummer is as important as Christmas
    This is the only point I cannot check, as we do not celebrate Midsummer. There are a few traditions relating to it, but it is not such a large scale celebration as in Sweden. I have been to one celebration as a child, it was mostly play activites for kids and a dancing event afterwards.

You celebrate Christmas on the 24th - check
    No Kalle Anka on TV, but we have our own "every single Christmas" tv shows, one of them is Home Alone. The rest is spot on.

You always take your shoes off when you enter someone’s house - check
    This is basic etiqutte. Unless you are specifically told to keep your shoes on by the host, you take them off before entering someone's home. There's nothing typically Swedish about it.

Reg.datum
    Jun 2007

Standard

I've always wondered about that "not taking the shoes of"-thing. Do people really have their shoes on inside? I mean in which countries? won't the floors and carpets get muddy och gritty and wet??? So many questions on that subject...

Medlem
    Reg.datum
    May 2012

Standard

Citat Ursprungligen postat av -hulda- Visa inlägg
    I've always wondered about that "not taking the shoes of"-thing. Do people really have their shoes on inside? I mean in which countries? won't the floors and carpets get muddy och gritty and wet??? So many questions on that subject...
    I always forget this when with Swedish guests. Even if they like me for about a minute they fall out with me when I forget

But anyway, in the United Kingdom shoes on inside is common. That doesn't mean you get in bed with them or something crazy, but people don't always take them off instantly when they arrive home. Unless you have brand new carpets, then you might take off shoes for like 6 months....

To flip the question back; what do Swedes do at work? Is it shoes off in all indoor spaces such as offices and suchlike?

Reg.datum
    Sep 2004

Standard

Citat Ursprungligen postat av .namnlös Visa inlägg
    I always forget this when with Swedish guests. Even if they like me for about a minute they fall out with me when I forget But anyway, in the United Kingdom shoes on inside is common. That doesn't mean you get in bed with them or something crazy, but people don't always take them off instantly when they arrive home. Unless you have brand new carpets, then you might take off shoes for like 6 months.... To flip the question back; what do Swedes do at work? Is it shoes off in all indoor spaces such as offices and suchlike?
    No, at public places like offices, hospitals and shopping areas it's shoes on. But many people use workshoes or indoor shoes at work.
    det rår jag inte för...

Reg.datum
    Jun 2007

Standard

Citat Ursprungligen postat av kmb Visa inlägg
    No, at public places like offices, hospitals and shopping areas it's shoes on. But many people use workshoes or indoor shoes at work.
    I have indoor shoes when I'm at my office

Medlem
    Reg.datum
    May 2012

Standard

I see! Interesting. I guess part of this is down to dragging snow everywhere in winter possibly? Usually in the UK we run into buildings to hide from wind and rain, so no time to dispense with the shoes!

Reg.datum
    Sep 2004

Standard

If you have or are a guest at a big dinner party it's okej to have your shoes or even the proper thing to do. I know that the upper-class often keep theire shoes on.
    det rår jag inte för...

Moderator utomjordings avatar
    Reg.datum
    Dec 2002

Standard

Citat Ursprungligen postat av -hulda- Visa inlägg

I have indoor shoes when I'm at my office
    Maybe it's indoor shoes that are typically Swedish? Do they exist in other countries?
    Låt dom komma nu

Medlem stjärnors avatar
    Reg.datum
    Sep 2007

Standard

I can't bear to have shoes on indoors. It's the first thing I take off as soon as I get home! At my last job (office based) I took my shoes off and had my 'office slippers' to wear, which was great, especially on wet or snowy days when everyone else had wet feet! My current job means I must keep my shoes on at all times.
    coloursatnight

Medlem stjärnors avatar
    Reg.datum
    Sep 2007

Standard

Citat Ursprungligen postat av .namnlös Visa inlägg
    I see! Interesting. I guess part of this is down to dragging snow everywhere in winter possibly? Usually in the UK we run into buildings to hide from wind and rain, so no time to dispense with the shoes!
    I remember from my winter trips to Sweden, that lots of the pavements were covered with grit/ sand (finer than what is put on UK pavements/ roads), to give added grip when the snow had compacted into ice. That stuff got everywhere! We left newspaper at the door inside the hotel room to take shoes off on, as I was stick of trailing the 'sand' all over the room!
    coloursatnight

Sidan 1 av 2 12 SistaSista

Behörigheter för att posta

• Du får inte posta nya ämnen
  • Du får inte posta svar
  • Du får inte posta bifogade filer
  • Du får inte redigera dina inlägg
  •