Sidan 1 av 2 12 SistaSista
Resultat 1 till 15 av 24

Ämne: An "English Experiment" fan's story

Medlem MaddyJs avatar
    Reg.datum
    Jul 2007

Red face An "English Experiment" fan's story

Kent, I'm a fan from the English Experiment era.... Got to know them in late 1999 or whenever Hagnesta Hill was released in France. Love at first sight litterally.
    They released a special french edition of the album with a bonus CD (although the songs are not LIVE). This was great to get my hands on this edition and since my mother liked the band, I gifted her the album!

When I got 18, I was finally allowed to attend shows so my first one was Reading Festival 2000 in the UK which is not a small concert! This is a 3 days huge festival, and the line up was insane. Here is the poster :
    http://www.stereophonics.com/images/...9c41f08f35.jpg

This was amazing to see KENT for the first time at the festival. I did not even know they were playing since they're very first in the morning on the main stage and the line up was partly announced when I bought my ticket.

It was rainy and the crowd was very spread around and not packed, nobody knew the band or something, this was such a pity.
    I spent hours writting down the lyrics to learn them and I sang all the Kent songs' lyrics and people were looking at me for this. I felt very much on my own since my friends wanted to see Ooberman or something instead!!! This was a huge time though on my own.

I then decided to make the french Fanzine fo Kent (this is a handmade magazine about stuff and news about the band since the internet did not really exist).

Then I got to know one month later they came to play in my town!!! (september 2000) I mean nobody played in Nantes back at the time because it was not very influent or famous (now there is a Zenith and is popular).
    Kent played in a very small venue, and I got there very early to meet a friend of my mum that was working at the venue and she gave me posters of the event, and I then saw the guys several times on that day. I brought the cover of my first #1 fanzine to get it signed by the band, which would look better for interested people to buy (it was like 2€ for a copy to cover the postage, this was promotional use and not to make money!)

At first, I came to the venue very early because I wanted to have a good standing position in the club to enjoy to the best and feared there would be too many diehard fans... Oh well, I was on my own at the venue My mother came along to the show and to see her friend working there.
    Suddenly while talking to her, I saw Joakim and Martin crossing the street and I was feeling so stressed out to get to meet them!
    There was no problem and it was very natural and I have never met a band like Kent that are so friendly and just not thinking you're just a fan.
    We talked, hanged out in the bar underground and even had fun on a picture of the french singer KENT on a magazine that was there, I showed Joakim and Harri and they were why "oh no way", everybody at their turn would do him something (glasses, beard, pipe) to make fun of him. Priceless amazing time!!!
    I have got pictures from the meeting and still have that magazine copy. Piece of laughing history!!!

My fanzine became official by BMG France although I never recieved the goodies to start a competition for the fans, and a rock magazine had fun of my work. French spirit is not the best really.
    I think they were kind of giving up and letting down the band which I did not like, eventually I got to know why.
    This was a huge wound to know they never came back here and I never made it to go to Sweden, but very often in my life since 2000, I made dreams at night that I went to Sweden and got to see Kent live, my absolute dream.

In 2005 or something, I met a lot of people because I started studies in the most famous french school for arts. A night I was invited to the flat of a swedish girl and guess what? She was playing "Vapen och Ammunition"! I told her that FF includes french lyrics and she didn't know
    I wonder why Kent never got famous here because I have heard for over 15 years, music and songs that seemed to have been copied on them!!!
    They're very talented and nobody can write better music as Mister Berg.

In december, my dream will come true! I will see Kent in Sweden! My dream at night for so many years!!!!!!
    Well for now, I just need to find tickets.... Such a detail... As long as I fly there and hang out to find the tickets, they'll just come to me. Hope and faith is the most important in succeeding.
    Of course I know I will never meet them again, but I still have the fond memories for ever to remember.

Now in France, you can still hear Shivaree (who played after Kent in my town) on the radio, but everybody has forgotten about Kent!!!! But I did not.

To be continued.

Thank you Kent for getting me to study english harder and get me to have amazing marks at my final exams, and then for getting my attention to learn swedish. Well thanking them for the dreams and the music is the least I could have done!!

Hope you enjoyed the reading. I'd be curious to read yours!
    (I will add the pics when I get my hands on all the stuff)
    Senast redigerat av MaddyJ den 2016-04-08 klockan 00:55.
    ! Jag är en FF och jag älskar Kent !

Medlem JukkeBerrys avatar
    Reg.datum
    Sep 2002

Standard

Citat Ursprungligen postat av MaddyJ Visa inlägg
    Now in France, there is a band of rich posh guys from Paris that steal the music from Kent (singing with same voice, having the same effects on it, the synths and everything) and they get famous in Spain. How original.

Thank you for sharing. Great story with a probable happy ending.

Now, who are the rich posh Parisians that made it big in Spain?

Medlem MaddyJs avatar
    Reg.datum
    Jul 2007

Standard

Should I post their name publically?
    They're quite hostile enough in general so reporting this would not be good

Medlem Diephers avatar
    Reg.datum
    Aug 2011

Standard

Lovely to read! :-)

I can understand what you mean with your dream. Same to me. I´ll see them this November for the first and the last time, unfortunately not in sweden, but in DK.

I was always dreaming of watching them in sweden open air in midsummer.... seems not to become true.

Would you post the photos of the Meeting wih them?
    Sommartid
    Jag är tystnaden och vinden
    Mitt land är ditt land, allt är fritt
    Sommartid
    Jag är lyssnaren som, som tårar
    mot din kind
    Min dröm är din…<3

Medlem MaddyJs avatar
    Reg.datum
    Jul 2007

Standard

Citat Ursprungligen postat av Diepher Visa inlägg
    Lovely to read! :-)

I can understand what you mean with your dream. Same to me. I´ll see them this November for the first and the last time, unfortunately not in sweden, but in DK.

I was always dreaming of watching them in sweden open air in midsummer.... seems not to become true.

Would you post the photos of the Meeting wih them?
    Oh yes sure, I will post the photos of the meeting and the pics of my fanzine and that magazine we draw on... I need to get my hands on it all, and the photos are of course from silverprints so they need to be scanned

This is a good chance to see them on that last tour, even if it's your first and last time, at least you will have seen them in real and feel the unique atmosphere of their shows. It's all you can cherish to the upmost. Your dream of going to Sweden will come true, it might not be for a Kent concert, but it'll always be Kent's country and they will stay in your heart forever.
    Oh man, I'm getting emotional again....

Medlem Diephers avatar
    Reg.datum
    Aug 2011

Standard

Oh, I´ve been to sweden for a few times. The first time in 2014. Has been one of the most emotional and best journeys of my life. Sweden has always been something special to me. The countryside, the people, the mentality - everything of this country is fascinating me.

But actually Kent have been the reason why I got interested in sweden anyway I think...

Well I am looking forward of the pictures. You have been very very lucky. But I think that they would also be that kind, if you would meet them today these days. Thats how I think about them due all the interviews. They are different to many other bands and "popstars".
    Sommartid
    Jag är tystnaden och vinden
    Mitt land är ditt land, allt är fritt
    Sommartid
    Jag är lyssnaren som, som tårar
    mot din kind
    Min dröm är din…<3

Medlem MaddyJs avatar
    Reg.datum
    Jul 2007

Standard

Oh yes they were very nice, I just remembered that they joked about somebody from the band not being on my homemade tshirt.... This was embarassing but it was done in a cute way More like teasing the guy missing.
    Very normal and down to earth people. I wish I could have met them again!

I wonder if many fans have met them?

About Sweden, I always was fascinated by the great North, so northern countries. But of course Kent back in 2000 got me a passion for this country And ever since I want to visit. I once went to Estonia (2009) and it was in the north and the feeling was amazing, I was thinking that Sweden was the other side of the sea Oh my...

Reg.datum
    Sep 2002

Standard

Should I post their name publically?
    They're quite hostile enough in general so reporting this would not be good
    I don't think that they're gonna go looking you. I'm just curious. If they're hostile they can't be anything like Kent.

Medlem MaddyJs avatar
    Reg.datum
    Jul 2007

Standard

Citat Ursprungligen postat av JukkeBerry Visa inlägg
    I don't think that they're gonna go looking you. I'm just curious. If they're hostile they can't be anything like Kent.
    They're hostile because they think they're above you because they made better studies, and would never invite you for a coffee even if you make all their promotional pictures. They're humanly awful so no way near Kent, you're right

Go have a listen to "Action" by Exs_onv_aldes, studio version of course, and you'll get very surprised!.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LASugprA5vQ
    Enjoy (haha) You'll recognize the influence for sure.

Reg.datum
    Sep 2002

Standard

They're hostile because they think they're above you because they made better studies, and would never invite you for a coffee even if you make all their promotional pictures. They're humanly awful so no way near Kent, you're right

Go have a listen to "Action" by Exs_onv_aldes, studio version of course, and you'll get very surprised!.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LASugprA5vQ
    Enjoy (haha) You'll recognize the influence for sure.
    Indeed, they don't sound very original. "L'Aerotrain" sounds like a The Cure rip off. No idea why Spanish fans like this. I guess that you have had one or two bad personal experiences with these guys. On the other hand, stressed rock personalities may unintentionally hurt fans. So don't take it too hard, especially if you encounter a member of Kent in a hurry to get somewhere (like Martin rushing from the bathroom to the encore).

Medlem MaddyJs avatar
    Reg.datum
    Jul 2007

Standard

Thanks for your feedback.

Well they were not rockstars to me but were simply my neighbors in Paris... They decided they came from another social class which makes a terrible behavior after all. Superficial.
    I just thought they sound like Kent when I heard their songs the other day, this was astonishing.

Medlem MaddyJs avatar
    Reg.datum
    Jul 2007

Standard

I just booked my hotel (5 nights)... I'm so emotional it's hard to find the words... My dream is coming true!

So that'll be 15-16-17 concerts... When I get some tickets, haha

Medlem stjärnors avatar
    Reg.datum
    Sep 2007

Standard

Hi Maddy!

Welcome back to the forum, I don't think we've ever met, but it's always lovely to have 'new' people join our little corner of the kent fan world.
    Thanks for sharing your story, it was great to read, and such amazing memories to have too.

I really hope you manage to get tickets to at least one of the gigs in Stockholm (I don't think the 15th is sold out, so you may still be able to get them at axs), it will be a great way to 'complete the circle' and the atmosphere will be amazing!

And always be proud of your fanzine- it was all that we had back then to share our love for bands- no internet in those days! It takes dedication and lots of time and energy to do a fanzine/ fansite, and I think some people might forget that.

I too, would love to see your photos when you get a hold of them. (Any photos I have where I've met bands, I'm grinning like an idiot!)
    coloursatnight

Medlem MaddyJs avatar
    Reg.datum
    Jul 2007

Standard

Hi Stjärnor,

Lovely to read your message.

I remember some very old forum before this one (or maybe there was never a older forum)? I tried to write in swedish and it was terrible... No idea really why I never came back here more "often"
    Kent has followed me through the years in a way or the other, but I would "celebrate" the anniversary at each 27th september for the last show ever I saw of them. etc looking on planes instructions to see if it's a 747 etc.

Yes, I just think that tickets won't be hard to find because I'm very hopeful and determined What shows are you going to?

Fanzines take a very long time indeed, you need to do some patchwork with printed text, images to get photocopied again in color, the result looked really nice though, even though the biggest rock magazine from France laughed about my work This did not matter as I got in touch with the BMG record label here and they approved my request and I got a few phonecalls later on.

Sure, I need to plan on a mass photo-upload here. To do list : the concerts pics, the meeting up pics, the plectrums pics, the fanzines pics, the french kent singer mocking drawing well anything like setlist or something of course
    It was silverprint photos, digital did not exist neither the internet ! Somehow the good ol' days, somehow not easy to get everything gathered together to get online. And yes I know what you mean about stupid grins Have you met Kent?

Medlem stjärnors avatar
    Reg.datum
    Sep 2007

Standard

Sounds like you have a ton of photos and stuff. Might be easier to upload it all to a photo sharing website and just then link to that here. This forum only lets you upload 5 items per post, and can be restrictive with the image size, etc. Bit of a pain in the neck sometimes when you have multiple things to show.

And ignore (if you can 'ignore' the past) the magazine comments. I don't believe that anyone working in music magazine isn't a proper die-hard fan of some band or musician. That's why they were there- they LOVED music. They might not have loved kent, but the emotion is the same whether it's kent, the Beatles, One Direction, the Spice Girls or Elvis. Passion for music. Different strokes for different folks!

I've never met kent, and due to work commitments and bad timing with the tour dates, I won't be able to see kent in this final tour. I'm heartbroken about it. I can't ever* see them play live again, but I'll be following everyone who will be there. I said many years ago when I first got into kent that I'd love to see them live just once. Well, I saw them twice (2010 & 2012), so I have to be happy with that. I doubled my personal kent gig quota. Each gig will come with joy and sadness, especially the Stockholm ones- because it would have been Stockholm I'd have seen them had they toured in the summer.

*Unless a miracle happens that gets me the weekend before Christmas off work (and someone willing to work my shifts!), gets me a personal jet from Glasgow to Sweden and tickets to the Stockholm gigs!

Stjärnor- ever the optimist!
    coloursatnight

Sidan 1 av 2 12 SistaSista

Behörigheter för att posta

• Du får inte posta nya ämnen
  • Du får inte posta svar
  • Du får inte posta bifogade filer
  • Du får inte redigera dina inlägg
  •