Resultat 1 till 15 av 15

Ämne: Megaband suggestions

Medlem
    Reg.datum
    Dec 2004

Standard Megaband suggestions

Hey strangers.

This was originally going to be a PM to the user "nämlös" who has strikingly similar musical preferences to mine. (400 Slag -- the greatest song of all time + likes the Lifeblood LP by Manic Street Preachers)

But then I thought, why not make it public? We all have strikingly similar taste in music -- kent. Maybe we should try to introduce some bands to each other on this forum? Do it in earnest. Like really take some time to think what people who listen to kent are missing out on that you've learned to like. Hefty, great, life period defining bands with huge back catalogues that we wouldn't otherwise take the time to learn. (The best groups take effort and give entire worlds in return). For example I started listening to Mew which I never would have done if people on the kent forum didn't recommend it. Mew are not a tier 1 band for me but they are still tremendously good and they have one classic album -- "No More Stories Are Told Today...". Mew were also pretty difficult to learn, but I'm glad I did. The only reason I put in the effort was because I knew people who like kent really dig it. It means something to them -- so there's got to be something there.

So -- here are three bands I think you all might not have dug yourself into yet. And that I'm sure you will like if you do. Music takes patience, especially the good kind, and these reward patience:

British Sea Power.

This band has it all. Immense, but tasteful instrumentation, beautiful use of sweeping orchestra, clever and obscure and sometimes near perfect lyrics with a lot of references. They really know language. They have two truly special singers who convey emotion in a very stylish way. A cheap but effective way to introduce British Sea Power is: a thinking man's Arcade Fire.

They're frustrating at first, nearly impenetrable, because their sound is all over the place (some of their best music is just not very well recorded) and their lyrics are truly esoteric. But once you learn them, British Sea Power have three classic level good albums and three interesting ones, great b-sides and rarities galore. And they have something special too, that even kent doesn't have. They're the nicest, friendliest, downright sweetest people ever to form a rock band. And it shows from all their songs. They're sharp and emotionally raw without ever turning to self pity or nastiness. A very rare thing indeed. And atop all that, they're mysterious as fuck. There's something there that doesn't fit into words. Some strange epicness "you think you know but you don't". It took me years to learn to love them, now they're my biggest hope for Best Band In The World after kent is ending. BSP is in full creative bloom right now, their last album was their best and you can trust them to go on for at least a decade.

Key album: Machineries of Joy

Good introduction track: Machineries of Joy (Edit: I feel like I might have misrepresented them with the moody one I had here before)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHUes0dGjUI

Kashmir.

People call them shit like "the danish Radiohead". Maybe they're right. If British Sea Power is a vastly more soulful, more special Arcade Fire then Kashmir is what I always wanted Radiohead to be. They're cool instead of annoying, but they're musicality is just as skyscraping. Truly gigantic musical muscle there. They have the most technically capable singer -- I think -- since Robert Plant. Kashmir had a long-long climb to greatness, they started out really bad in the 90s. With them you have to listen to their three latest albums: No Balance Palace, Tresspassers and especially E.A.R -- which is just spellbinding. E.A.R is one of those huge story-albums that becomes a world of its own.

At first I had a real hard time getting into Kasmir because of their chord changes. Oh boy do they have a lot of chord changes! You know that song where a really good intro is playing, then a really good verse comes along but with different chords. It has you worried. This is not what I'm used to. Don't screw the beautiful intro up guys. But okay, the verse sounds good too, just different. Then the whole thing wonders off into a bridge that has EVEN MORE chords and after that the chorus is a completely different song with two parts and -- you guessed it -- both parts have different chords. They're the anti-kent in that way. But once you learn to follow the singer's voice through all those chord changes, Kashmir is one of the most educating bands you'll ever listened to. It's made me a better singer. Oh, and they're pretty sexy too. There's something sexy about Kashmir. Even slightly... evil dare I say. Also, Kashmir are the world's best live band. Again -- better than Radiohead live. (If they haven't split up, information is scarce on them)

Key album: E.A.R

Good introduction track: Blood Beech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOg_C1XWWEE

Einstürzende Neubaten

These German industrialists have made music for thirty six years and getting to know them is a lifelong process WELL WORTH TAKING. They are up there with the absolute greatest musicians of all time. I think every major culture has one huge band. The Soviet union had Kino, Sweden has Kent. Germany has Einstürzende Neubauten. It's never too late to get into them, they're last four albums are all very accessable. I'd say Neubauten is the "highest brow" you can get -- with minimum effort. At first they seem like the seriousest, most European band in the world: lyrics mostly in german, but also in english, french and even italian, 12 minute songs, scrap metal instruments they've made themselves, heavy duty poetry, performance art, spoken word. But they're actually really showy and instantly likable. Their high brow antics are all in service of intellectual fireworks and great humor, plus their singer Blixa Bargeld has that soothing Leonhard Cohen timber everyone loves. (If Leonhard Cohen could also scream like a banshee)

If Neubauten is something you've just heard of in passing but been too intimidated to get into, get Alles Wieder Offen or Ende Neu. These two albums are really easy, nice, well recorded albums with very showy tracklists that have absolute superhits on them.

Another reason to like Neubauten is that they're emotional in a different way to almost all other music. In a way unemotional, but at the same time HUGE and filled with grandeur. Neubauten has always had one aim: TO BE NO PART OF IT. And under “it” they mean “everything, the world, politics, love, you name it.” It's quite a tall order but after 36 years it's clear they succeeded. Listening to Neubauten literally makes you a stronger, wiser person who gives less shits about hearbreak, mourning and the woeful state of politics. If British Sea Power are a thinking man's Arcade Fire and Kashmir are Radiohead without the, you know, shitty Radiohead... then Einstürzende Neubauten tower above both Leonhard Cohen and Nick Cave.

Their lyricist Blixa Bargeld is the quintessential cast iron poet of pop music. His dada techniques and immense evocations of Jesus-like paradox-thinking make lesser wordsmiths like Bob Dylan appear downright banal and sentimental. Listen to how Blixa turns a phrase overheard in the market queue – “you will find me if you want me in the garden unless it's pouring down with rain” – into a sentiment of biblical deluge proportions.

Key Album: Alles Wieder Offen.

Good introduction track: The Garden

https://vimeo.com/36556349

Okay, so that was me, I like to be thorough but you don't have to be, just names and a couple of words are fine But the gist here is to suggest huge, sprawling back catalogue bands. Because, you know, kent ends but life goes on.
    Senast redigerat av Kurvitz den 2016-09-16 klockan 05:32.

Medlem
    Reg.datum
    May 2012

Standard

Citat Ursprungligen postat av Kurvitz Visa inlägg
    This was originally going to be a PM to the user "nämlös" who has strikingly similar musical preferences to mine. (400 Slag -- the greatest song of all time + likes the Lifeblood LP by Manic Street Preachers)
    Flattered Good idea for a post! I'll have a think and come back to this one....

Medlem
    Reg.datum
    May 2012

Standard

Thanks for the inspiration Kurvitz!

The 2 artists I recommend are Burial and Jonathan Johansson (some of you may already know him.)

Burial

I wanted to start of with a non-guitar artist. Dark, moody, claustrophobic, Burial is music for the modern era & an artist like no other today. After remaining anonymous for many years, he has cultivated a cult following. Since going public, he has had the likes of Thom Yorke queuing up to work with him.

I would describe his music as skeletal. The beat is probably the main part of the song. The beats aren’t laser precise, they are (for want of a better word) wobbly. The bass lines and vocals wrap super tight around the skeleton of each song. In fact, the bass lines are like nothing else you’ll hear. Unlike a lot of electronic music, this means that the songs are actually full of raw emotion.

All of this makes for an eerie warped, and nervous melancholy which is quite apt for the times we live in. Burial creates a tense and edgy world. Often I recall the feeling of walking round on a drizzly, dark, empty estate at 5am . As one reviewer put it, “his songs feel almost like beautiful secrets being whispered to a listener.” And as the artist himself describes it, that mood is akin to “just a distant light”

In that vein, the way Burial releases music is also quite interesting. After 2 acclaimed albums in the mid-00’s, there have been no full length since. Instead, he has been collaborating, and releasing several 3 song EP’s. But instead of that being underwhelming, each song feels like an album in itself, with key tracks stretching over the 10 minute mark.

Start with: Loner https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTnLeEiGSEU
    Then try the whole catalogue in bits.

Jonathan Johansson

OK, now into some song based territory. And a musician who could be your next Kent if you really want. JJ sings in Swedish, and he creates incredible pop music.

His music has a chilly feel that will be familiar to Kent lovers. It has to be said that there is a lot of Swedish pop out there that is very very good. But it is also kinda becoming a parody of itself. A lot of the artists sound kinda similar. There’s a lot of sugar if you will, but not a lot of salt.

The main draw here is of course Jonathan Johansson’s voice. He quickly moves from bruised and downcast to powerful, strong and upbeat in a heartbeat. His use of harmony is exceptionally strong Musically he’s just as dexterous. Using guitars, synths, muted beats and everything in between, you will often find yourself surprised at how varied the sounds are across an album. Yet, somehow he also manages to then make that all work as a cohesive piece which is probably even more impressive.

And that’s probably the biggest compliment you can pay to Jonathan. His music is timeless without being a pastiche of things that have come before. It has a character all of its own. Which means it’s both classical and forward thinking in its approach. It’s a dark sound, but one that is much more pastoral and accessible than my Burial example.

His last album was a masterclass in everything a modern indie/pop should be. Interesting sounds and multi paced to perfection. Since then he’s released a handful of one off songs and remixes, all of which hopefully fills the time nicely until his next album release.

Once again, like Kent, we can get lost in the world of JJ’s sounds. Weirdly I can understand way less of his lyrics than Jocke. I presume this is because of a different dialect with him hailing from the south but I’m not sure. I also notice that he is much more likely to “code mix” with lots of English phrases popping up in his later work.

Start with: Blommorna https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty2se_-Z2B4
    Then start with his latest album Lebensraum!

Medlem stjärnors avatar
    Reg.datum
    Sep 2007

Standard

Really interesting idea for a thread!

I'm currently not in the mindset musically to listen in totally new artists right at the minute, but I like the idea that the recommendations are here for when I'm ready to try something new. I get a bit 'stuck' on an album, and right now I'm still stuck on DSNFA (and waiting patiently for the 4 new songs this week).

British Sea Power- I know the name, have never listened. Will give them a shot one day.

Jonathan Johansson- I have the album Klagomuren, which I also recommend. Have listened to Lebensraum on Spotify on few times too. And yes, he sings in a very strong Skånska accent. You'll notice the Rs tend to soften and disappear.

In terms of contributing to the thread, I feel this is where I might get a bit stuck. I seem to have 1 or 2 albums by one band, and another by a different artist, etc. let me look through some CDs (rather than my MP3s on my phone) and I'll come back to this. I may not have any 'Megabands' in there!
    coloursatnight

Medlem stjärnors avatar
    Reg.datum
    Sep 2007

Standard

I really feel like I should contribute something, so whilst what I write here might not be a 'never heard of gem' or a great unknown artist, it is music that meant an awful lot to me when I was younger, and I guess that was the last time (apart from kent) I really, really immersed myself in the world of another band or artist. So here we go:

Crowded House

Emerging in the late 1980s from the remnants of Neil Finn's previous band Split Enz, it wasn't until around 1992/3 with their Woodface album that had I actually heard of them. Woodface is the album with the one song you'll all know: Weather With You. This album was actually meant to be a collaboration just between Neil Finn and his brother Tim and not a Crowded House project, so many of the songs on this album were co-written and co-sung by the brothers, and for that reason I feel it has a slightly different atmosphere than other Crowded House albums.

If you want the hits and instant recognition songs, start with Woodface, but I'd say for me, the album that really shows off Neil's songwriting skills would be Together Alone, which is more musically diverse than the previous 3 albums. He's got a great ability to take an everyday situation and twist it into a clever lyric about something else and write an amazing melody to go with it!

The song 'Nails In My Feet' begins: "My life is a house/ you crawl through the window/ slip across the floor/ and into the reception room" and later continues "I look into space/ there is no connection/ a million points of light/ and a conversation I can't face"

Together Alone has those quiet, serene songs like 'Walking On The Spot' and 'Distant Sun' and then there's the rockier, guitar-ier 'Locked Out' and 'Black & White Boy'. The final track 'Together Alone' features Maori drummers and a Maori choir, and is one of those songs you need to listen to in a dark room on your own to immerse yourself in it completely. A song of loss and parting, a perfect last album track.

A best of album was their next release (Recurring Dream), and the band split as Neil wanted to concentrate on working on the Finn Brothers project. The drummer left the band and later committed suicide, but they did reform with a new drummer and eventually released 2 more albums- Time on Earth and Intriguer. But I'd start at Together Alone and work backwards before trying these later ones.

Weirdly, I can't seem to find any videos on Youtube (plenty of live ones, but it's best to start with the original versions), so I leave you reluctantly, with a Spotify link to Together Alone.

https://open.spotify.com/album/7bzJtH0rm6rcgmWiKyIVxK

And I really wish I was able to write about music the way both .namnlös and Kurvitz, can!
    Senast redigerat av stjärnor den 2016-09-11 klockan 23:12.
    coloursatnight

Nybörjare SirNoodles avatar
    Reg.datum
    Dec 2013

Standard

Nice topic!

Some interesting names already passing by:
    - Crowded House I know, but it was always a bit too friendly/goody goody for me
    - Mew: great band as well, my favorite album would be frengers, and favorite song 'Comforting Sounds'. I saw Mew live only once, at Bravalla festival, 1 day later Kent was playing there. Singer of Mew, Jonas Bjerre has some solowork as well (search for 'waste it'), and he sings on Duran Duran's last album Paper Gods (song 'change the skyline')
    - Kashmir: absolutely amazing band and lots to discover. One band member now has a solo-album, quite good, top track for me is Big City Dropout, by Asger Techau.
    - And then the amazing music force Einstuerzende Neubauten... one of those bands you just have to see live at least once in your life. No beauty without pain, instruments that are sometimes more constructions with industrial sounds. From very industrial/hard/noisy they evolved into this timeless music unit, with absolute beauty. And Blixa Bargeld indeed is a great songwriter. The Garden is beautiful, I would recommend 'Youme + Meyou' as a discovery track.

So what to add...

band 1: Unbelievable Truth / Andy Yorke.
    Not the biggest discography (2 albums, 1 solo-album), but mainly the first album (Almost Here) is such a brilliant little gem. Bought the album together with Isola in the 90's, still the best day of 'album purchasing' ever for myself. Unbelievable Truth is guitar rock/college rock, at first sound quite simple, a bit the silent sweet kid in the corner, but there is an underlying emotion, a mix of melancholy passion emotion that makes the album get under your skin slowly, never to go away again. And yes, the singer Andy Yorke is little brother to Thom Yorke from Radiohead, but he sings a lot better.
    Recommended album: Almost Here.
    Discovery tracks: Solved, Finest Little Space, Disarm (from the 2nd album) and Ode To A Friend (from his solo album).

band 2: dEUS
    one of the greatest Belgian bands ever. Started in the 90's as well, with a unique combination of rock, pop, jazz influences and a lot of weirdness & crazyness, they have evolved into this rock/pop gods (yes, dEUS is gOD) with a large catalogue filled with variation. And the band around Tom Barman has had many line-up changes, with a whole network of friends and bands around it as well (Zita Swoon, Evil Superstars, Magnus, ...) which makes the discovery journey even more interesting.
    Recommended songs:
    1/ Suds and soda: a real 90's anthem, with a vocaltrack that includes Friday/Friday/Friday endlessly repeated
    2/ Hotellounge (be the death of me)
    3/ Nothing really ends (the perfect soundtrack to any misty evening in a french bar)

Medlem
    Reg.datum
    May 2012

Standard

I'd have to big up Mew also, but I figured everyone here would know them. In fact, if you live in the UK, I'm convinced that a Mew gig is one of the closest feelings you'll get to being at a Kent gig. I've seen them live three or four times now. Back in 2005, then in around 2009 and again last year. The atmosphere of their shows somehow quite similar and magical like Kent, although clearly Mew are a unique band on their own. I like pretty much everything they do, and I adore Frengers and Glass Handed Kites.

Standard

Agree on that one: Mew is as close you can get to Kent as possible in continental Europe and UK.
    Please note: Snow Brigade is the most brutal song ever (well wrapped in sheeps clothing). Turn it up to 100 and Mr. Richter will come check himself what the hell is going on!
    What do I have to say with Mew, Crowded House, dEUS, Kashmir already mentioned....
    Maybe a national favourite (and I challenge the others to come up with a national gem):
    Urban Dance Squad
    Highly underrated, but one the most influential acts worldwide at the beginning of the nineties. They were, together with Living Colour, the first band to blend rock and hiphop in their music. Most of the dutch bands sound really "dutch" and lack the knowledge of english to get some decent lyrics on tape (like dEUS was capable of), but UDS managed to produce some very intelligent rhymes combined with ever changing music. To get an idea:
    - Deeper Shade of Soul
    - Good Grief
    - Happy Go Fucked Up

Medlem
    Reg.datum
    May 2012

Standard

Citat Ursprungligen postat av stjärnor Visa inlägg
    And I really wish I was able to write about music the way both .namnlös and Kurvitz, can!
    There's no secret to it. It's just lots of adjectives in my case hah!

Glijmeijer, Mew are so deceptive aren't they? I only made the Kent connection last time I saw them. There is just that weird magical feeling and it seems to be quite close in both cases. I know that the bands (or at least some of them) are friends. And some of Mew have talked about being Kent fans, so that is perhaps less surprising.

To be fair live they are ridiculously loud, and Snow Brigade is just one of those songs that is complete euphoria when it kicks in. It's magical. The first time I saw Comforting Sounds live my jaw was on the floor. And Glass Handed Kits stuff is really pounding and hard hitting live with the baritone guitar and everything. "Surely his voice doesn't actually sound... OMFG IT DOES!" And yeah, I guess that feeling is like 747 but 1000% heavier. And then Am I Wry with 7 songs in one..... So much to love there. I think Frengers stands alone in a way because it was so different. I am a weirdo in that I do love No More Stories (not that man people do) but their whole catalogue has so much to offer. If anyone hasn't listened to them in this thread they should rectify that immediately!

Out of the bands listed so far, Kashmir really stands out, though I can't find anything on Spotify in the UK at least.

Oh and SirNoodle, I remember Unbelievable Truth coming out. One of my mates was super obsessed with them because of the Radiohead link. I always thought Higher then Reason was a beautiful song. Perhaps I'll revisit those albums.

Nybörjare SirNoodles avatar
    Reg.datum
    Dec 2013

Standard

Urban Dance Squad: known to me, but just a bit too far from what I like. But agree that in their (own created) music-niche they are awesome. Can I add 'temporarily expendable' as discovery track, I really like that one, the hi-hi ha-ha hoew chorus just makes me laugh (slightly insane) each time. And I do agree: what dEUS is for us Belgians, is Urban Dance Squad for the Netherlands: an international own sound, instead of the typical homegrown sound. And an inspiration for all that followed to just go out and do what they wanted to do, true pathmakers for others.

And on Kashmir: 'Lampshade' is a great track with great lyrics, one of my favorites.

Medlem
    Reg.datum
    Dec 2004

Standard

Already I like Jonathan Johansson's "Klagomuren" and "one of the best Belgian bands" sounds intriguing... this exchange is turning out pretty ace indeed! I'll definitely add at least two suggestions later -- and will check out everything mentioned here. If not right now then down the line. This is shaping into a nice document, a big thank you to everyone!
    Senast redigerat av Kurvitz den 2016-09-13 klockan 17:41.

Medlem Preben.Ls avatar
    Reg.datum
    Apr 2014

Standard

Erfaren medlem J. Bergtagens avatar
    Reg.datum
    Jan 2016

Standard

Interesting thread. I don't think I have anything that unique to offer but I will at least acknowledge that dEUS & the Danish bands sound very promising at a first listening. Talking about Denmark there's a band called Efterklang that sounds equally promising but I haven't really listened to them and they do not resemble Kent so no further advice from me at least. A Scandinavian band that I have listened to and find similar to Kent is A-ha. They are very equal in terms of rock/pop mix and level of melancholy. Not as good and even as Kent, but which band is? The first three albums and Foot of the mountain are the best to start out with.

Medlem
    Reg.datum
    May 2012

Standard

To be fair I shouldn't thread de-rail. The bands don't have to be like kent. In my case for example Burial is a million miles away.

I have heard of Killing Joke and checked out a few tunes in the past actually. As it happens I am also bit of a metal head (going way way heavier than KJ), but you won't find me talking about that on here often because I suspect most people wouldn't be interested.

Let's put it this way, when I spoke to kent fans, or found Kent brothers and sisters online, I was consistently surprised at the number of fans who liked amazing bands like Deftones etc.

Medlem stjärnors avatar
    Reg.datum
    Sep 2007

Standard

The Unbelievable Truth- I actually had a couple of their CD singles. Have long forgotten the names of the songs, and they've long gone to charity shop. Probably heard of them through listening to Steve Lamacq on Radio 1. I had a few Radiohead albums too at that point, so may have been curious to hear them because of that too.

Mew- I had a couple of their songs way back, on an old laptop that died. (they may have been in a Sony compression format, from an early mp3 player) One from from Frengers, the other I can't remember. Never really explored them further. One to keep in mind for the future, I think.
    coloursatnight

Behörigheter för att posta

• Du får inte posta nya ämnen
  • Du får inte posta svar
  • Du får inte posta bifogade filer
  • Du får inte redigera dina inlägg
  •