Resultat 1 till 12 av 12

Ämne: Similar Bands Like Kent

Medlem Eschs avatar
    Reg.datum
    Jul 2008

Standard Similar Bands Like Kent

Hi fellow Kent fans,

I'm a bit bored so here's a subject on similar bands like Kent. And yes folks, I know, there isn't any other band in the world (and beyond) that sounds anywhere near Kent (and all that mumbo jumbo...)...

As a huge Kent fan and collector (www.kentfan.com) I listen to a lot of other bands as well. Not only pop/rock by the way.

I like bands such as In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Children Of Bodom, Norther, Kalmah, The Wake, Parkway Drive, Bring Me The Horizon, The Devil Wears Prada... But those are more extreme forms of music.

When I compare with Kent I think a British band called 'Thirteen Senses' does sound similar in a way... The old Kent, so Kent with guitars and certainly no electronics. Very good band actually! Check them out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOGgQaUKLEI

Although Kent is to be compared a lot with Depeche Mode, U2 and Radiohead (which I do not understand), I don't like these bands, at all!

Other bands, I do like, which are not very similar to Kent, but might be interesting for you to listen to are:

Death Cab For Cutie, Velveteen, The Swell Season, Loney Dear, The Postal Service, Destine, Editors, Kashmir...

I have to say a lot of bands I like are from Sweden. This is purely a coincidence. I think Sweden therefor has to offer a great deal of musical potentional globally.

What are your favorite bands apart from Kent? And what bands do you think are somehwere, somehow comparible with Kent's music?
    Senast redigerat av Esch den 2010-03-26 klockan 12:02.

Erfaren medlem namokabs avatar
    Reg.datum
    Jul 2007

Standard

Cool with a big international fan!

My favorite bands apart from Kent are Tears For Fears and to a lesser extent U2 and Coldplay.
    They all have some similarities with Kent.

I can recommend the following thred.
    http://forumet.kent.nu/showthread.php?t=1317

Although it's in swedish, it should be possible to decipher the sibling bands of Kent.
    När ni äntligen kan se vem som drar i alla trådar
    Så blir ni aldrig rädda mer
    När ni äntligen kan se kejsaren stå naken
    Så vänder allt igen

Jag går ensam genom mörkret
    /Jo©ke\

Moderator utomjordings avatar
    Reg.datum
    Dec 2002

Standard

I moved this topic to the English part because there is a similar topic in the Swedish part of the forum (the one namokab recommends).
    Låt dom komma nu

Medlem
    Reg.datum
    Feb 2010

Standard

Apart from Kent, my favourite bands are Coldplay, Shout Out Louds, Noah & the whale, Simon & Garfunkel, Glasvegas and The Kooks.

Medlem JukkeBerrys avatar
    Reg.datum
    Sep 2002

Standard

I think that the Swedish band which came closest to Kent was Eskobar. Interestingly, almost every fan of The Ark also likes Kent.

Satellite State, often plugged by their manager in this forum, could be liked by Kent fans just like lots of other bands that don't sound anything like Kent.

Medlem
    Reg.datum
    Feb 2010

Standard

Citat Ursprungligen postat av JukkeBerry Visa inlägg
    I think that the Swedish band which came closest to Kent was Eskobar. Interestingly, almost every fan of The Ark also likes Kent.

Satellite State, often plugged by their manager in this forum, could be liked by Kent fans just like lots of other bands that don't sound anything like Kent.
    For real? That's odd... Cause almost every Kentfan dislike The Ark.

Medlem luckyguerin13s avatar
    Reg.datum
    Mar 2006

Standard

Citat Ursprungligen postat av JukkeBerry Visa inlägg

When I listen to Kent on Pandora, I get Eskobar a lot.
    bygg något vackert som krossar allt

Medlem
    Reg.datum
    Aug 2002

Standard

Citat Ursprungligen postat av Esch Visa inlägg
    What are your favorite bands apart from Kent? And what bands do you think are somehwere, somehow comparible with Kent's music?
    After Oasis split, Kent are my favourite band. I listen to a lot of different bands and music, so it's hard for me to name my favourite ones, also because now I'm really into Italian indie music, so I may name you some great Italian bands, but I don't think you know them (I may try if you like, at least the ones singing in English).
    Anyway I want to name 3 bands/artists that may explain quite well my musical taste. Starsailor, Damien Rice, Ladytron.
    Of course we are talking about bands still running on, if instead we are talking about all the music history, I can't help to name Oasis, as I told before, and The Smiths.

It's not easy to find a band that is compareabel with Kent music, because Kent music itself changed a lot during the years. So I may say that Isola and Hagnesta Hill have Radiohead influences, and that Depeche Mode inspired the last 2 records, but in my opinion the whole Kent music is uncompareable with a single band.
    Some years ago, in the old forum, a lot of people liked a US band called Isola, that, since their name, was really inspired by the first 4 Kent records. They were pretty nice, but I don't know if they're still running on. Another unknown band I heard years ago that, in my opinion, was ispired by the same records was called Palo Alto.
    Gulo Gulo lover forever!
    Maybe my brilliance shining through
    il disfattismo preserva l'integrità del setto nasale

Standard

I'm not hatng the ark. Actually I was recommended their music by a kent fan, and their debut album did have a couple of great songs, such as "It takes a fool to remain sane" and "Let your body decide". But they have very few things in common with kent. Maybe there was one band called "The Motorhomes" which will remind me of kent during the isola time. But just as all you guys said. Kent themselves have changed a lot within time.

Btw, fans who like kent also like whom list, I would think about Tiger Lou, Eskobar, and Popsicle, and above mentioned The Motorhomes.

Medlem JukkeBerrys avatar
    Reg.datum
    Sep 2002

Standard

I just heard The Ark's new single "Superstar" and puked. I'm afraid they caught the same disease Melody Club did with their last album. This just shows how difficult it is to make great music over a longer period of time. Luckily, Kent have mastered this skill.

Standard

I think Kent is becoming a band with its own style... it's now a mixture of indie and electronica but made in a particular way. if you go back and listen to the first album you can hear traces of U.S. Indie, Verklingen is a bit Coldplay-ish (but then again that was WAY before Coldplay started), Isola captures the end of Britpop (when I first heard 747 i Thought they were a British band), from Hagnesta on they started their own progression to the electronica.

Standard

Hagnesta Hill reminds me a bit of Keane...it's not as much about the sound as it is about the songs.

The one comparison I can draw between Keane and kent though is that these are the two bands that have changed drastically over the years with different sounds on different albums and EPs. They both put out consistent albums, I think kent has more longetivity in their songs while Keane are good at making a tonne of singles.
    reddit.com/r/UKbands

Behörigheter för att posta

• Du får inte posta nya ämnen
  • Du får inte posta svar
  • Du får inte posta bifogade filer
  • Du får inte redigera dina inlägg
  •