Sidan 1 av 5 12345 SistaSista
Resultat 1 till 15 av 67

Ämne: Swedish learning & resource thread

Medlem stjärnors avatar
    Reg.datum
    Sep 2007

Standard Swedish learning & resource thread

The idea for this thread came to me a while ago when I was stuck at a few words when I was doing one of Jocke's translation posts, and chatting recently with .namnlös about Swedish learning put the idea back in my head.

So, the idea of the thread is to provide links and resources to those who are learning or who want to learn Swedish. These will be for learning websites, online resources, blogs, books, learning exchange sites, etc. I'd also like the thread to be 'interactive', in that if you're having trouble with a part of Swedish learning, or unable to find or translate a right word/ phrase, maybe one of the other forum members who know Swedish (and the Swedes are very welcome to join in too) can help with an answer.

We all might prefer different ways of learning, and forum member .namnlös has kindly given me a list of sites and resources that he has used (I've indicated below which ones came from him), and if you have any links you know which might help others learn Swedish, then either post them below, or PM me and I'll keep this top post updated so everything is much easier to find.

I did have a lot of links to various websites, but it turns out these were on my pc at my last job (and not here at home ), so I've had to have a scout about the internet for those that I could remember.

Dictionaries
    (links to books are just for reference, I've not purchased them from these stores)

I use 2 paper dictionaries:
    -Norstedts Engelska Fickordbok (pocket dictionary)

This is my quick look-up book and has been really helpful since I started learning. Perfect for the beginner, as it shows the gender of the word, and its plural ending, eg: hund (-en, -ar) dog.

-Norstedts Engleska Ordbok Student's Edition: (known as my 'big' dictionary!)

This is much more comprehensive than the Pocket edition, and often has additional phrases/ uses for words. Possibly a not needed for a beginner, but when you're a bit more advanced in your learning. I chose this one over others, because it shows the word gender/ plural ending like the pocket edition. I couldn't find this at the Norstedts website, so I'm wondering if it's now out of print. Maybe someone with the 'Stora Ordbok' version or another Swe-Eng dictionary can confirm if it shows the word gender/ plural endings.

Online dictionaries:

- Norstedts have a free & limited online search. Most words are here, but some are part of their pay monthly scheme, which I think is only available in Sweden.

- Lexin is a free online dictionary which is quite handy when the word isn't at the Norstedts site.

- Tyda is another online dictionary. Recommended by .namnlös, this one is new to me, and I have bookmarked it to try. I've noticed some words have a little 'speaker' icon which lets you hear how the word sounds. There's also an iPhone app too.

Teach yourself-type books

There is a lack of decent self learning books in the UK (not sure about elsewhere), and it's been a while since I looked in a bookshop here, as I'm passed the beginner stage. However, the book I started learning with was:

- Swedish in Three Months, by Hugo. This book is long out of print, but 2nd hand copies to pop up on Amazon and eBay occasionally. I found it really helpful and used it before I took lessons and still refer to it occasionally.

- Teach Yourself Swedish. This is a newer edition than the one I own. Although aimed at beginners, my version forgot about the basics! This jumped right in with an English family visiting a Swedish family and exercises were based around 'situations' and conversations between the 2 families. I don't recommend this for total beginners.

- Mål 1. I picked this up in a 2nd hand book shop, and is a beginners book of exercises. All are in Swedish, there's no English in the book, as I believe it's used in Swedish for Beginner's classes in Sweden. They have some online exercises you can do- I'll link further down to it.

Other useful books:

- Swedish Essentials of Grammar. I found this helpful explaining some of the more complicated grammar that I was struggling with. Not that expensive, either!

- 201 Swedish verbs. This has the most used verbs in Swedish fully written out for all the tenses- it also tells you which classification group (I-V) the verb is. At the back of the book there is also a long list of verbs with English translations, words in highlighted in bold are found in the book, the others give you the class, and as most are regular, and if you know the classification, you can work out the verb tenses. A grammar section at the beginning also explains the different uses and gives quick tips and rules for remembering Strong (irregular) verb spelling patterns.

Online language exchanges:

Essentially a cultural exchange between two (hopefully) likeminded individuals. Usually the Swede's level of English is much better than our level of Swedish, so it might be difficult finding someone willing to help with the basics. Can be worthwhile if you find someone wanting to practice their English on you, or willing to give you some basic Swedish to read in emails/online chats.

- Polyglot was the site I tried quite a few years ago. Free. I haven't used it for a while, although I did have an e-penpal through it. Not just Swedish, but all nationalities here looking to learn.

Used/ tried by .namnlös:
    - Livemocha (nice idea to have courses, a bit fiddly interface though)
    - Lingofriends (seemingly now dead!)
    - iTalki (recently refreshed and better for it)
    - My Language Exchange (paid, picked up a few contacts here, but again few Swedish learners)

Forums:

- How to learn any language

- Fluent in 3 months

Both are new to me, but browsed by .namnlös

Websites (reading/ listening):

- 8 Sidor is a news in 'lätt svenska' (simple Swedish). Quite helpful as it has news from Sweden (Inrikes) and around the world (Utrikes). Try reading a news story here and then see if you can find it on an English language site, and work out how much you have understood.

- Klartext on Sveriges Radio. Is again news in simple Swedish. There are stories to read, and a 10 minute broadcast everyday to listen to or download. (click on 'lyssna' or 'ladda ner' on the right hand side) They are read clearly and slowly.

- Svt is the Swedish state broadcaster and has a selection of news stories in their News section. More advanced Swedish than lätt svenska. They also have SVTPlay (like the BBC iPlayer), but only a few programmes are available to watch outside of Sweden

- SweDia 2000 Probably not for the beginner, but interesting none the less. The universities of Umeå, Stockholm and Lund undertook a project to record different Swedish dialects. It allows you to hear an older man (äldre man), an older woman (äldre kvinna), a younger man (yngre man) and a younger woman (yngre kvinna) speaking and has the text they spoke, and a phonetic transcription too. Click on different regions/ villages, and then the page will show 'välj talare' (choose speaker) and click on one of the 4 options mentioned above. This gives you a page with the text, and 2 listening options, mp3 or Wav.

Websites (blogs, other learning)

- Transparent Language has different languages and 'channels' of learning (Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc). I follow them on Twitter where they post a 'Word of the day' (it can also be emailed) and links to their blog, which has interesting articles to help your learning.

- Swedish Made Easy is the blog is Dr Anneli Haake, who provides online lessons (paid) and a blog with articles about learning and Swedish culture. .namnlös has had lessons from her and said she was good.

- Memrise is a website and iPhone and Android app which uses community based learning. .namnlös uses this to learn. Direct link to Swedish here.

- Mål 1 (and Mål 2), the workbook I mentioned above, has a site (click on the 'Gratis 2013' boxes) where you can do some exercises online, such as: 'drag & drop' the words into the sentences, or pick the correct answer to a statement and see how many you get correct. Pick a chapter (kapital) and then a section, and then a topic from that section. (basically, keep clicking until you get some questions!) Again, like the books, this is ALL in Swedish. There is a help section in the top right corner (question mark) but it's in Swedish too!

- SFI (Svenska för invandrare) is a programme run in Sweden for beginner learners of Swedish (immigrants, not the natives!). I had a link to some online past test papers, but the link no longer works, and they now only provide some sample questions from their different test levels in this pdf

- Learn Swedish Online has basic words and phrases, beginner level and possibly useful for those visiting Sweden and wanting to learn a few words.

- Goethe-Verlag is a 'fill in the letters' type site. I haven't used this, but came across it whilst looking for another site.

Personal Interaction (online chatting/ lessons etc.)

One of the best ways to learn a language is to have others to converse with. The method that worked for me was taking lessons with a native Swedish speaker. I took lessons for 4 years with the same teacher at a University and the classes (adult learning, not part of the student curriculum) were always popular and nearly always fully booked (much to the University's surprise, who knew so many people in Glasgow wanted to learn Swedish!). However, lessons can be expensive, as a guide, this year Stage 1 at Glasgow Uni (with a different teacher) is £200 for 20, 2 hour lessons. The lessons were invaluable for giving me speaking/ writing/ listening practice and I met others who wanted to learn Swedish. It's worth checking you local college or uni to see if they offer lessons. I was able to get a grant to part-fund some of my course.

.namnlös uses Skype for interacting with Swedes online (not something I've tried), here's what he says about it:
    I use this for chatting to the people I find something in common with. Normally it takes some time to do a voice chat as people get nervous, and also not everyone wants to spend each and every night online. One that can be either deathly dull or very good is the Swedish chat group I am in. I mostly "watch" this as I can't even type well enough to join the discussion. On an individual basis, if you can generally chat with someone in English here, you can pick up some things and most Swedes will answer any questions you have.

After my Swedish lessons finished, someone from the class set up a Meet Up group, where we could meet up and speak Swedish. It wasn't entirely sucessful for me, so I'm no longer in the group. Some of the problems was often there was no native Swedish speaker to keep us correct when chatting in Swedish, some people might only come once or twice and it was hard to keep connections, and often (because there was no Swedish lessons at the Uni for a couple of years) total beginners would join (not that they were unwelcome), but they were looking for us to teach them Swedish. One problem I found personally, was that the organiser wasn't particuarly organised and we often had no set topics to chat about, and there's only so many times you can ask a near stranger about their Christmas/ summer holiday/ job. It may work for others, but I ended up feeling frustrated and that it wasn't actually helping my Swedish.

There are other group possibilities with Facebook groups or Google Circles, neither of which .namnlös or I have tried.

On twitter:

https://twitter.com/swedishlanguage word a day, links to resources
    https://twitter.com/learnswedish 10 Swedish words everyday

Again, if you have anything to add to the list, please post below, or PM (and I'll credit the link to you). I hope the thread might be helpful to any learners out there, and maybe if it's popular we might get it stickied! And feel free to post if you have any Swedish learning questions.
    coloursatnight

Medlem
    Reg.datum
    May 2012

Standard

Nice list! I have since lost my 201 Verbs book, somewhere in moving out of my old flat I suspect. At times like that, I wish I had a Kindle I also have An Essential Swedish Grammar, Teach Yourself Swedish and a phrase book for learning phrases quickly.

Can I ask where you bought the Norstedts Engelska Fickordbok from? At the moment there are a few options with this (and I probably should invest in a dictionary.) The book you reference is cheap, but would need postage etc adding to send to the UK. The other option is the iphone/ipad app for this. The app is £32.99 and comes with 276,000 words. Perhaps it's worth ordering the book from that website.

As I said, when I first tried to learn some Swedish, I used the self learning books to little effect. As you point out, the material is often dated, or is just generally thin on the ground unlike other languages. I highly recommend Anneli's lessons, she is a very good teacher and of course, the fact that these lessons are online means you can have some great one to one time with a qualified teacher. She uses a general coursebook, but personalises everything to you and your interests which is very important when learning a language. There is also a Swedish Meetup in Manchester, although I have only attended that once. Again, due to my commitments elsewhere it's tricky to find the time for this kind of thing if it's not on the doorstep. Ultimately this fairly standard way failed for me and I slipped into not doing much at all.

Second time around I have slightly tweaked my technique. I have started to worry less about learning things like grammar straight off the bat. When I learned English as a child, I didn't learn grammar from day one, that was slowly added to the general tools and vocabulary, so I'm focussing on communication first which I will then try and plug the grammar into. Hopefully with that as a grounding I'll have more confidence to try. In the past what has held me back (lack of time not withstanding) has been the feeling that because my grammar wasn't good, I couldn't go to the next level. Everyone learns differently, so I'll be interested to see if this "just do it" approach is any better. If I build up a head of steam I may take another block of lessons to push me through that barrier of just past beginner.

I have a playlist on Youtube also, and if there are any good programmes in Swedish with swedish subtitles, I'd love any recommendations to help fill that up, so if anyone knows anything good, feel free to suggest!

Medlem stjärnors avatar
    Reg.datum
    Sep 2007

Standard

Citat Ursprungligen postat av .namnlös Visa inlägg
    Nice list! I have since lost my 201 Verbs book, somewhere in moving out of my old flat I suspect. At times like that, I wish I had a Kindle I also have An Essential Swedish Grammar, Teach Yourself Swedish and a phrase book for learning phrases quickly.

Can I ask where you bought the Norstedts Engelska Fickordbok from? At the moment there are a few options with this (and I probably should invest in a dictionary.) The book you reference is cheap, but would need postage etc adding to send to the UK. The other option is the iphone/ipad app for this. The app is £32.99 and comes with 276,000 words. Perhaps it's worth ordering the book from that website.

As I said, when I first tried to learn some Swedish, I used the self learning books to little effect. As you point out, the material is often dated, or is just generally thin on the ground unlike other languages. I highly recommend Anneli's lessons, she is a very good teacher and of course, the fact that these lessons are online means you can have some great one to one time with a qualified teacher. She uses a general coursebook, but personalises everything to you and your interests which is very important when learning a language. There is also a Swedish Meetup in Manchester, although I have only attended that once. Again, due to my commitments elsewhere it's tricky to find the time for this kind of thing if it's not on the doorstep. Ultimately this fairly standard way failed for me and I slipped into not doing much at all.

Second time around I have slightly tweaked my technique. I have started to worry less about learning things like grammar straight off the bat. When I learned English as a child, I didn't learn grammar from day one, that was slowly added to the general tools and vocabulary, so I'm focussing on communication first which I will then try and plug the grammar into. Hopefully with that as a grounding I'll have more confidence to try. In the past what has held me back (lack of time not withstanding) has been the feeling that because my grammar wasn't good, I couldn't go to the next level. Everyone learns differently, so I'll be interested to see if this "just do it" approach is any better. If I build up a head of steam I may take another block of lessons to push me through that barrier of just past beginner.

I have a playlist on Youtube also, and if there are any good programmes in Swedish with swedish subtitles, I'd love any recommendations to help fill that up, so if anyone knows anything good, feel free to suggest!
    Oh, that right, I had a Berlitz book/ cassette from the library for a while too (long before I started learning properly)- totally forgot about that. I find these phrase books not much use, unless you plan on asking a stranger "where is the bank?" and get the exact reply "go straight on and take the first right" which is no use to anyone!

The fickordbok I got probably about 10 years ago in Borders (long gone) in Glasgow, I picked it up on a whim while I was in on my lunch break. I think it cost me around £7 or £8. It might be worth asking a bookshop if they can order it in and how much it would cost. The big dictionary I bought in Akademibokhandlen in Stockholm, it cost 229kr, but it was on sale (usual price was 429kr). It seemed like a lot at the time, but has been worth every penny/ krona!

A look at the Bokia site (part of Akademibokhandlen) says they don't ship outside Sweden:
    "Nej, tyvärr skickar vi i dagsläget inte beställningar utanför Sverige. Detta beror på att fraktkostnaderna, inklusive returer, delleveranser, etc blir för höga."

A note on films, have a look at the back of dvd covers and see if any films you own have Swedish subtitles. Watching with these on can bring up words and phrases which are surprisingly similar to english. I'd recommend getting some Swedish films/ programmes on dvd if you can. There's the Dragon Tattoo trilogy (I know, it's everywhere, but readily it's available), 'Mitt liv som hund' (my life as a dog) was one of the first Swedish films I saw, and is quite sweet. 'Ondskan' (Evil) is good, and based on a true story. There's a bit of violence in it, just to warn anyone. 'Let the right one in' (swedish one, not the American one) is a vampire story, not my usual cup of tea, but I enjoyed it, and it was beautifully filmed. As part of the Swedish film club I helped at (as part of my course) we saw a few films I think you can only get in Sweden- 'Änglagård', 'Gubben i graven bredvid', 'Underbara älskade'. Loads of others, but the names escape me at the moment. I have (or have had) quite a few others, Pelle the conqueror, Together, Fanny & Alexander (too long to enjoy).

TV: there's the Swedish Wallander series on BBC4 occasionally. Better than the UK version. 2 different actors have played the part, and I prefer the Krister Henriksson ones over the Rolf Lassgärd.
    The Bridge (Bron) was good, and a little quirky. Mixed Swedish & Danish in it though. Series 2 will be on BBC4 some time this winter, I think.

Reina gave me a link to a Swedish tv series on Kanal 5, called '100 Höjdare!!!' which is Sweden's funniest moments, and is presented by 2 comedians, Filip & Fredrik. This is available to view on their player outside Sweden, and there's subtitles! (click on the cog, and turn the text on with the T) There's probably other programmes on there too with subtitles. My swedish teacher showed us a dvd of a sketch show called 'HippHipp!' which was funny, especially the 'Svenska för nybörjare' skits, which are either set in classes with learners or with the teacher showing the class 'how things are done in Sweden'. They're on youtube somewhere.

Hope that helps!
    coloursatnight

Medlem
    Reg.datum
    May 2012

Standard

Ordered the Ordbook anyway, it wasn't stupidly expensive on Shipping and the book itself is a tenner, so what the hell!

I have seen Let The Right One In. Normally I don't like that kind of film but it is very, very well made and beautifully shot.

I'll try and get watching some of those videos for sure, cheers!

Medlem stjärnors avatar
    Reg.datum
    Sep 2007

Standard

Hoping one of the Swedish (or Swedish speaking) members can help me translate a word. In Jocke's tweet this morning he used the word 'stasad'. My dictionary has 'stass' meaning finery, glad rags, so I can only guess that it's rooted from that in some way.

Blev och är helt stasad. = Was and is really fine???

Tack i förhand
    coloursatnight

Erfaren medlem kmbs avatar
    Reg.datum
    Sep 2004

Standard

Citat Ursprungligen postat av stjärnor Visa inlägg
    Hoping one of the Swedish (or Swedish speaking) members can help me translate a word. In Jocke's tweet this morning he used the word 'stasad'. My dictionary has 'stass' meaning finery, glad rags, so I can only guess that it's rooted from that in some way. Blev och är helt stasad. = Was and is really fine??? Tack i förhand
    I'm swedish, but I dont get it either. But In the kontex I think its fine, or excited.
    Senast redigerat av kmb den 2013-11-08 klockan 09:26.
    Jag har blivit äldre, saknar glöd
    det rår jag inte för...

Medlem stjärnors avatar
    Reg.datum
    Sep 2007

Standard

Thanks kmb. Not just me that's confused, then!
    coloursatnight

Erfaren medlem Oktjabrjs avatar
    Reg.datum
    Feb 2005

Standard

Hoping one of the Swedish (or Swedish speaking) members can help me translate a word. In Jocke's tweet this morning he used the word 'stasad'. My dictionary has 'stass' meaning finery, glad rags, so I can only guess that it's rooted from that in some way.

Blev och är helt stasad. = Was and is really fine???

Tack i förhand
    Nja, snarare tvärtom. Stas är blodstockning på medicinspråk (stasis på engelska tror jag) och man kan "stasa" till exempel överarmen för att göra en undersökning, kanske sätta i en spruta eller ta blodtryck. Kentigaste sortens referens om jag får säga det själv!

Haha, sorry, wrote this in Swedish by mistake. I think "stasad" comes from "stas", which is a kind of stopping of blood circulation. You can create a "stas" in your arm by pressing it in order to make an investigation of some kind.
    Senast redigerat av Oktjabrj den 2013-11-08 klockan 10:51.
    Ba-ba-da-ba-da-ba-di-di

Medlem stjärnors avatar
    Reg.datum
    Sep 2007

Standard

Citat Ursprungligen postat av Oktjabrj Visa inlägg
    Nja, snarare tvärtom. Stas är blodstockning på medicinspråk (stasis på engelska tror jag) och man kan "stasa" till exempel överarmen för att göra en undersökning, kanske sätta i en spruta eller ta blodtryck. Kentigaste sortens referens om jag får säga det själv!

Haha, sorry, wrote this in Swedish by mistake. I think "stasad" comes from "stas", which is a kind of stopping of blood circulation. You can create a "stas" in your arm by pressing it in order to make an investigation of some kind.
    Wow, thanks Oktjabrj, I would never have guessed at a medical term! The Merriam-Webster online dictionary says for Stasis: a state or condition in which things do not change, move, or progress.

Could we then say the translation might be: Was and is at a total standstill.
    coloursatnight

Medlem stjärnors avatar
    Reg.datum
    Sep 2007

Standard

From Jocke's latest tweet below, do you still think he meant 'stasis' in his previous tweet?

Den nya låten är fortfarande magisk.
    Den är... annorlunda.
    Fort gick det också.
    Att skriva den.
    Det brukar vara ett riktigt bra tecken.
    coloursatnight

Erfaren medlem kmbs avatar
    Reg.datum
    Sep 2004

Standard

From Jocke's latest tweet below, do you still think he meant 'stasis' in his previous tweet? Den nya låten är fortfarande magisk. Den är... annorlunda. Fort gick det också. Att skriva den. Det brukar vara ett riktigt bra tecken.
    I still think he meant something good. He's in the zone, intense moment.
    Jag har blivit äldre, saknar glöd
    det rår jag inte för...

Standard

I've learnt swedish by moving here and of course, I'm norwegian, so it's mostly the same. But I did learn Czech some years ago, starting with an interactive course on cd-s. Those exists in swedish too! Eurotalk swedish.
    Fuck, fuck, fuckety fuck. Bugger, fuck... ...and tits!

Medlem stjärnors avatar
    Reg.datum
    Sep 2007

Standard

Citat Ursprungligen postat av kmb Visa inlägg
    I still think he meant something good. He's in the zone, intense moment.
    I'm heading back to that way of thought too. Stasis almost made sense, until this mornings' tweet!

Citat Ursprungligen postat av Sorrow Visa inlägg
    I've learnt swedish by moving here and of course, I'm norwegian, so it's mostly the same. But I did learn Czech some years ago, starting with an interactive course on cd-s. Those exists in swedish too! Eurotalk swedish.
    Thanks for this link Sorrow (haven't seen you in here for ages!), it's nice to have other peoples' links and suggestions to Swedish learning.

Sorry for the short replies, but I need to go and get ready for work now. I'll pop back on tonight after work and see if we're any further forward! Thanks guys!
    coloursatnight

Erfaren medlem Oktjabrjs avatar
    Reg.datum
    Feb 2005

Standard

I'm heading back to that way of thought too. Stasis almost made sense, until this mornings' tweet!
    Well, I don't know but I would use the word (if I ever did) in the sense that something/someone is at a standstill. Maybe Jocke became completely exhausted or paralysed by writing the song!
    Ba-ba-da-ba-da-ba-di-di

Medlem stjärnors avatar
    Reg.datum
    Sep 2007

Standard

Ah well, I decided to ask Jocke on twitter what he meant by stasad and he replied:

-Superexalterad (really exalted)

I think we can say he's pleased then!

reply from j.berg.JPG
    coloursatnight

Sidan 1 av 5 12345 SistaSista

Behörigheter för att posta

• Du får inte posta nya ämnen
  • Du får inte posta svar
  • Du får inte posta bifogade filer
  • Du får inte redigera dina inlägg
  •